This article mainly explains how to transfer PF (Provident Fund) online using UAN Login portal. It also lays down steps as to how to check PF transfer status with the help of Tracking ID. You will also get to know about the features, advantages, and various online services provided by the UAN portal. The article also talks about the benefits of UAN and its importance. Epf Account Transfer requires various documents to be done. The eligibility criteria for PF transfer process is also an important part that has been discussed below.
Let us first go through the features of UAN which makes it the best method to do the PF transfer online:
- Even if you change your job, UAN remains the same – The UAN was brought to keep consolidated information about all Provident Funds at one place. It would be very difficult to maintain so many PF accounts under different employers. Whenever an employee changes his job, he just needs to notify about his UAN to his new employer. An old account needs to be linked PF with UAN.
- UAN stays assigned with your employer – In general, the employers notify the UAN as and when they credit an amount to the Provident Fund Accounts. When they fail to do so, you can log in to your UAN portal to know about your UAN. Is it only possible when your UAN account is linked with your PAN, AADHAR and Mobile Number?
- It is easy to change the personal details – you may need to change your details with your change of jobs in different cities. The process of changing and updating personal details becomes easier with the help of UAN portal. You just need to log in the portal and edit your details as and when required.
- It is a convenient medium for money withdrawal – As all your PF accounts of both previous and current jobs are managed under one UAN, the process of money transfer and withdrawal becomes easier and more convenient. It saves a lot of time and helps to keep track of payments and withdrawals. It is a simplified system that makes money management transparent and easy.
Advantages of UAN
The various advantages of UAN to the employees are as mentioned below:
- Reduced employer involvement in withdrawals of PF – Once the KYC details are verified, the PF of the old organization will be transferred to the new organization. This leads to reduced employer involvement with the help of UAN.
- No requirement of fund transfer – After the employee gives his UAN and KYC details to the new employer, the old PF is transferred to the new account when the verification process is completed.
- Gives message alerts – After registering at the UAN portal, employees receive an SMS after every contribution made by the employer.
Online services (Claim, Transfer and Track)
There are various online services provided such as:
- Claim (Form 31, 19 and 10C) - The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) brought forward new composite claim forms. It has been introduced for the full or partial withdrawal of PFs. The three forms that the claim section consists are: Form 31, 19 and 10C. To claim full/partial withdrawal through Composite Claim Form, AADHAR must be linked to UAN of the employee.
- Transfer – The transfer of your previous PF account to the current one can be requested. You should make sure of all the following details before applying for the PF transfer on the Portal: Up to date KYC details, current and previous bank account details along with IFS Code is fed in your UAN, and KYC details put against the UAN.
It should be known to all the employees that only a single transfer request can be claimed.
- Track EPF Claim Status – You can track your EPF Claim status on the UAN Portal. One needs to check the ‘Track Claim Status’ section. Your PF account number or acknowledgement does not have to be entered.
How to Transfer EPF online
To request for a PF Transfer Online, the given steps must be followed:
- You need to log in your EPF account with the help of your password and UAN.
- Then select ‘Transfer Request’ option in the ‘Online Services’ section.
- You then have to give your earlier details of the EPF account.
- After that submit your Transfer Request for your current or previous employer attestation (as required).
- Enter your UAN or Member ID where required.
- By clicking on the ‘Get MID’ option, you can get your MID generated.
- After inputting the MID, select the ‘Get OTP’ button. You will receive the OTP on your registered contact number.
- Enter the OTP in the space given and click on ‘Submit’.
- You then have to submit a copy of the request of online PF Transfer with self-attestation. The copy has to be sent in a PDF format to the employer as per your selection, within ten days of your submitted online request.
- The request for PF Transfer will then be digitally approved by the employer.
- You can also track your PF Transfer Request Online by generating a tracking ID.
- The Transfer Claim Form (Form 13) has to be downloaded by the employee. Sometimes, the transfer claim form also has to be submitted to the employer for making the PF Transfer Process
The following requirements need to be fulfilled if you want to transfer your old EPF account to a new one:
- You need to activate your UAN.
- You must feed all your bank details like the account number and IFSC code for verification at the time of transfer request.
- AADHAR card details should also be given in the UAN account.
- The date of joining and ending along with the reason for exiting should also be mentioned in the portal.
- The EPFO accepts only one transfer request against one member ID.
Documents Required for EPF Transfer
The documents required to be given along with the Pf Transfer Form Online are as follows:
- Revised Form 13.
- Identity Proof (AADHAR Card, PAN Card or Driving License).
- Details of the current employer.
- Establishment Number.
- Account Number.
- Bank Account details for the account where your salary is credited.
- PF account details of both current and previous.
Forms required for EPF Transfer
The forms that you may need when opting for Pf Transfer Online are given below:
- PF Transfer Form.
- Form 13.
Points to remember when transferring PF Online
The employees must keep these points in mind before requesting for PF Transfer Online:
- Activate your UAN on the portal.
- The registered contact number must be active.
- Link your bank account to UAN.
- Verify your KYC details against UAN.
- Both previous and current employers must have registered authorized digital signatures.
- PF Numbers of the present and previous employments must be recorded in the EPFO.
The use of UAN during PF Online Transfer
An individual is allotted different Member IDs from different employers in his career. These multiple PF account IDs are linked to the UAN (Universal Account Number) that belongs to one individual. Therefore, the benefits of having the UAN are as mentioned below:
- Dynamically update your UAN card.
- PF passbook updated along with the details of transfer-in
- SMS update of monthly credits in your PF account.
- Automatic transfer of the account when the employer is changed.
- Linking the current ID with the previous member’s ID.
How to Check the PF Transfer status
There are three steps to verify the status of PF Transfer Online:
- You can use your Member Claim Status Link to track your status.
You should follow the provided steps to track your PF Transfer online
- Visit EPFO online portal.
- Select ‘Know your Claim Status’ under ‘Our Services’.
- A new web page will open where you will have to input your details like the UAN number along with Captcha.
- After entering the details, select ‘Search’.
- A new web page will open where you will need to select the Member ID for which you want to track the status.
- Next click the ‘View your Claim Status’.
- A new web page will open showing your status for PF Transfer.
- You can also use the EPFO portal to track your status.
- Visit EPFO online portal.
- Enter your details such as password, UAN and captcha.
- After you log in, move to ‘Online Services’ and click on ‘Track Claim Status’.
- A new web page will open where you have to click on ‘Transfer Claim Status’.
- Your PF Transfer Status will be shown on a new web page.
- You can directly track your status from the website.
- Visit EPFO online Portal.
- Then click on ‘Knowing your Claim Status’.
- From the dropdown list, select in which state the PF office is situated.
- Then choose your regional office.
- The office and region code will be entered automatically after entering the above-mentioned information.
- Then enter your ‘Establishment Code’. ( only if you have it)
- Enter the 7-digit PF account number of yours.
- Select ‘Submit’ and the status will be shown on a new web page.
Benefits of Transferring PF Online
The PF account comes with a lot of long-term benefits. It is considered a fixed investment. Therefore, it is advisable to transfer the EPF amount and not to withdraw it. There are many privileges for employees, some are mentioned below:
- You become eligible for tax-free withdrawal of your money if you transfer the PF account and keep it for 5 years straight.
- It provides compound interest on the savings.
- You become eligible for a pension after attaining the age of 58 years if you continue to manage and maintain your PF account for more than 10 years. This benefit cannot be used if you switch to a new account or withdraw all the money.
Q. Can EPF withdrawal possible without PAN card?
EPF Withdrawal without PAN will make you liable for a TDS deduction of a maximum rate of 34%. But your TDS will not be deducted if the claim sum is 50,000 or more.
Q. When and how much tax is applicable on EPF withdrawal?
The withdrawn EPF Amount becomes taxable when it is done before 5 years of continuous employment.
If your PAN card is linked then a 10% TDS is applied at the time of EPF withdrawal. If it is not linked then a 34% TDS will be applicable.
Q. What is the process to view EPF withdrawal in ITR?
The EPF withdrawals are considered as an employee income as mentioned under the ‘Income from Salary’ head. You may report about it during filing of ITR. Select the ‘Section 10 (12) Recognized Provident Fund’ on the website to do so.
Q. What is the inquiry number of EPF Withdrawal?
The enquiry number of EPF Withdrawal is 1800 118 005.
Q. Can the EPF amount be withdrawn anytime?
No, EPF cannot be withdrawn anytime because several conditions should be met to be eligible for the withdrawal like the tenure of employment, withdrawal reason, age of the holder of the account, etc.