Formerly known as Bezawada, Vijayawada is a city in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh located on the banks of the Krishna River. Vijayawada Municipal Corporation is the civic body governing the city of Vijayawada in Andhra Pradesh and defined under Andhra Pradesh Municipalities Act, 1965. It was constituted on 1st April 1888 and was first upgraded in the year 1960 as a selection grade municipality. The municipality was further upgraded in 1981 to a corporation. The corporation covers a total area of 61.88 sq. km and is divided into 64 political wards.
The Mayor of the VMC headed an elected body performing the Administration of the Corporation. The Commissioner acts as the executive head and oversees the day to day functioning of the local body. The staff strength of the corporation is just over 5000.
The city is counted among the suburbs of Amaravati – the state capital under the Andhra Pradesh Capital Region, and the APCRDA headquarters. Vijayawada is one renowned business and trading centre of the state and thus, called “The Business Capital of Andhra Pradesh”. Andhra Pradesh is home to two metropolises, the one is Vijayawada and the other is Vishakhapatnam. The commissioner of Vijayawada Municipal Corporation is Sri. V PRASANNA VENKATESH, IAS.
Since Vijayawada is one of the prominent commercial hubs of Andhra Pradesh, it has been recognised as a “Global City of the Future”. According to the 2011 Census of India, Vijayawada had a total population of 1,048,240 that made it the second-largest city in Andhra Pradesh in terms of population. The total population comprises 524,918 males and 523,322 females, and there are 92,848 children in the age group of 0–6 years in total population.
The city’s population is expected to reach 2.5 million by 2025. The Muslims constitute about 250,000 or approximately 21% of the total 1.2 million population in Vijayawada.
In this blog, we will discuss everything about VMC – its services, functions, how Vijayawada Municipal Corporation works, how to obtain certificates and more.
Scroll down and get valuable information about VMC!
Functions of Vijayawada Municipal Corporation
According to the provisions of the Andhra Pradesh Municipal Acts, below are the functions broadly assigned to the municipalities. Have a look:
- Public health, conservancy, sanitisation and solid waste management
- Construction and maintenance of roads, bridges culverts and drains
- Provision of water supply, sewerage and drainage
- Provision of playgrounds and public parks
- Provision of street lighting
- Construction and maintenance of slaughterhouses and public markets
- Urban planning that also includes town planning
- Improvement and up-gradation of slum
- Maintenance of burial grounds
- Regulation of the use of land and buildings’ construction
- Secondary and elementary buildings’ maintenance
- Vital Statistics that include Registration of Births and Deaths
- Urban development programmes
For in-depth knowledge of section-wise duties regarding the above-discussed functions, take a glance at the below table:
|1.||Administration||Looking after general administration such as school administration and council meetings|
|2.||Accounts||Maintaining accounts, preparing annual accounts and budget, and attending audits of accounts|
|3.||Revenue||Assessing and collecting various taxes and non-taxes, and collecting rents from municipal properties|
|4.||Engineering||Taking care of water supply and sewerage, and public works such as roads, buildings, drains, parks, playgrounds and street lighting|
|5.||Public Health and Sanitisation||Looking after public health, sanitisation and solid waste management, and medical and maternity services|
|6.||Urban Poverty Alleviation (UPA)||Taking care of urban poverty alleviation programmes|
|7.||Town Planning||Regulating town planning activities such as the uses of land, construction of buildings, layouts and encroachments|
How to Get a Birth Certificate in Vijayawada Municipal Corporation?
A birth certificate is an identification document issued by the state government recording a person’s birth details such as name, gender, date and place of birth, the name of parents and residential address. Learn below the procedure of obtaining a birth certificate in Vijayawada:
Step 1: You need to register the birth first to apply for a birth certificate.
Step 2: Fill up the form prescribed by the Registrar to register the birth with the concerned local authorities within 21 days of its occurrence.
Step 3: The hospitals or dispensaries where the birth takes place usually maintain a register and send it to the local bodies regularly. Then the form is being sent to the Municipality and once it reaches there, you have to approach the authority for the application of the certificate.
Step 4: You can visit there on any working day.
Step 5: In case the birth has not been registered within the defined time of its occurrence, the revenue authorities order for police verification and then the certificate is issued.
Documents required to apply for the birth certificate in VMC
- In the cases where the birth takes place at a hospital or dispensary, the below documents are required:
- Address proof the parents (Voter ID, Driving License etc.)
- Aadhaar Card of the parents
- In the cases where the birth takes place at a house, you need to approach the local body and inform them in writing. And once it is verified, you will be issued the certificate.
- Make the application in the prescribed format of Form-2.
- Name of the parent
- The child’s date of birth
- Residence location
- Certificate of Doctor/ Hospital discharge certificate
- If there is a delay in the registration, you need to submit an affidavit from the judicial magistrate/Notary that indicates the date and place of birth of the child, the parent’s name and evidence of the occurrence of birth
- If you apply for the certificate after a month, permission needs to be obtained from the Add. Dist.Registrar i.e BDO of concerned Talukaan
- In case the certificate is applied after a year, an order needs to be obtained from the executive magistrate and the order’s copy needs to be attached with the authorised application form.
How to Get a Death Certificate in Vijayawada Municipal Corporation?
A death certificate is an individual’s record by the state government that declares the demise of a person officially. The nearest relatives of the deceased person will be issued the certificate stating the date, fact and cause of death. Once the certificate is obtained by the family, they can avail certain benefits provided to the family members of the deceased person such as insurance or window pension. Check below the steps of obtaining a death certificate:
Registration of a death in VMC
- Fill up the form authorised by the registrar to register the death of a deceased person with Mandal officers. If it is reported verbally, the registrar enters the information in the suitable reporting form with your signature or thumb impression. The receipt from the crematorium or burial ground might need to be refurbished for that.
- The individuals who can report or register the death would be:
- The head of the family if it occurs in a house
- The medical in-charge in case it occurs in a hospital
- The jail in-charge in case it occurs in a jail
- The village headman or the in-charge of the local police station if the body is found shunned in that area
Procedure for the Gazetted CDMA death certificate in VMC
- Collect the application for a death certificate from Meeseva centre or you can also download it online
- Fill the application form with all required documents attached
- Visit Meeseva centre and submit your application along with documents and fees.
- The applicant will receive an application number as an acknowledgement. You will also receive a text message with the transaction number on your registered number.
- The applicant will receive the certificate producing the acknowledgement.
Documents required to apply for a death certificate in VMC
- Birth proof of the deceased
- Aadhaar card of the deceased
- The applicant’s ID card
- Proof of residence
- Application form for the Death Certificate
- An affidavit with the date and time of death or death slip by doctor specified
- Receipt from the crematorium or burial ground
How to Get a Marriage Certificate in Vijayawada Municipal Corporation?
A marriage certificate is an essential legal document that validates your marriage during various processes. Learn below the process of applying for a marriage certificate in Andhra Pradesh:
Registration of marriage and procedure of obtaining the certificate in VMC
- Apply for the certificate at the Sub-Registrar office by filling registration form that is the Jurisdiction that both the parties reside with a valid address proof
- Attach a set of documents (mentioned below) with application in Form-A
- In case the application is not made within 30 days of the marriage, the couple will need to visit the Registrar with their parents or guardians or other witnesses. Both the parties have to appear before the ADM on the said day along with a Gazetted Officer who attended their marriage.
- The witnesses need to sign in front of the Registrar
- Once the application is submitted with the required documents, the marriage will be registered and the applicants will receive the certificate.
Documents required to apply for a marriage certificate in VMC
- Address proof related to the bride and bridegroom both. It could be ration card, driving license, voter ID card, birth certificate, PAN card, passport or Telephone bill
- Age proof of both the parties – be it birth certificate or school leaving certificate
- Three photographs related to both, the bride and the bridegroom
- A wedding invitation card
- The SSC certificate of husband and wife
- An application form A
How to Pay Property Tax Online in Vijayawada Municipal Corporation?
Learn below the different ways that explain the procedure of paying property tax online in Vijayawada:
- Assessments are made considering the size of the property and various other parameters by the official.
- Property tax is calculated and collected half-yearly. It is collected in June for the first half and in December for the second half-year.
- The simple interest at the rate of 2% is imposed per month. And there is a penalty levied with property tax on unauthorised constructions.
- Property Tax Auto Calculator is used to obtain tax assessments.
- You can calculate it online using the online service option. There is a dropdown menu from where you can choose property tax and select the option you wish to know details on.
Below are the ways through you can make the payments:
- Online websites such as CDMA portal or respective ULB portal
- Puraseva Mobile Application
- Citizen Service Centres (there are offices created in every ULB that provide municipal services, payments and grievance redressal)
- E-Seva Centres within the Municipal limits
How to Apply for a Trade License and Get Its Renewal Online in VMC?
Trade License is a mandatory registration required to start a business. It is permission in the form of a Certificate issued by Municipality Corporation or Local Authority that you can operate a trade on a particular address.
Below is the procedure for the application of a trade license:
- Visit the official website of your specific state and fill the application form online
- Submit it with the required documents
- Once the specified Municipal Corporation is satisfied with the submitted documents, it will verify and approve the loan application
You can check its status on the official website of the specified state. You just need to enter the application number with a registered number.
Eligibility for a trade license in VMC
- The applicant must be an Indian citizen
- The minimum age for the applicants is 18 years
- The applicant should have no criminal record
- The business must be legally acceptable
- The applicant needs to submit the application 30 days before starting the business
Trade License Validity and Renewal in VMC
Trade License is valid for 1 year and can be renewed every year. The time period for renewal is from 1st Jan to 31st March.
The renewal application needs to be submitted within days from the expiry date of the trade license certificate.
Documents required for the renewal submission:
- Challans of the previous year
- Original copy of the Trade License
- Updated receipt of the aid property tax
Vijayawada Municipal Corporation Online Water Meter Bill Information
The steps to get the online water meter bill information in Vijayawada Municipal Corporation are as follows:
- Visit the official website of Vijayawada Municipal Corporation
- Go to the e-payment section and choose water charges
- It will take you to the page where you can generate your water meter bill from.
- Fill in details like your 10-digit H.S.C number, assessment number, old consumer number, Assessee Name and Door number to generate your water meter bill
You Might Also Like:
FAQ’s about Vijayawada Municipal Corporation (VMC)
What is the Vijayawada Municipal Corporation helpline number?
The Vijayawada Municipal Corporation helpline number is 0866-2421058.
What is Vijayawada Municipal Corporation office address?
The Vijayawada Municipal Corporation is located at Jawaharlal Nehru Building Vijayawada: 520001, Andhra Pradesh, India.