You will find in this article proposal of the government of Assam to include the participation of the private sector for providing low-income housing for the underprivileged. You will also find the manner of selection of private partners for providing low-cost housing to the economically weaker section of society.
Joint Venture Housing Projects in Urban Areas
The land for the housing projects shall be provided by the Assam State Housing Board. The private parties, who'll be invited through floating of tenders, will build the infrastructure and the buildings. The sharing of the constructed built-up area will be between the Assam State Housing Board and the Private Parties.
Proposal for New Schemes
- The Assam State Housing Board has undertaken a project in Guwahati. A building with the commercial hub will be constructed under this project. The building is going to house offices, commercial establishments, etc.
- The Assam State Housing Board has proposed a big Affordable Housing Project in Guwahati. These houses will be used to relocate families living in eco-sensitive areas. The government will provide suitable land for the proposed project.
- There is a plan to take up a mega project for land development in Guwahati.
- The board has also proposed to construct residential complexes at Krishna Nagar in Guwahati on its land. This project will be under a joint venture with private parties.
- The Board will also construct residential houses under affordable housing. The housing construction will be done on its land.
Affordable Housing Project
The table showing fund released by the Ministry of Housing and Poverty Alleviation, Govt. of India:
(Rs in lakhs)
Name of the Project
Cost as vetted by Govt. of India
Fund released by the Govt. of India (As the Central Govt.’s Share)
Fund released by the Govt. of Assam (As the State’s Share)
Balance Amount (As Central Govt.’s Share)
Affordable Housing for all EWS, Silchar
Affordable Housing for all EWS, Dhubri
Affordable Housing for all LIG, Silchar
Affordable Housing for all LIG, Dhubri
Development of Land and its Sale under PPP Mode
The housing board is in negotiation with the private parties. The negotiation is in line with developing land and sale scheme in Guwahati under Public-Private Partnership mode.
The mode of agreement
It has been decided that the Board will enter into an agreement with some chosen private parties. These private parties must own lands in and around Guwahati. This land will be developed into residential plots of various dimensions. The plots will be made available to only those people who don’t have any land or residential accommodation.
State Plan Schemes
There are two State Plan Schemes presently:
- Rental housing scheme
- Janata housing scheme for the Economically Weaker Section
- Rental Housing Scheme: Under this scheme, the Assam Housing Board shall construct residential houses for the people on the government land
- Janata Housing Scheme: Under this scheme, financial assistance will be provided to the people who are under the category of Economically Weaker Section. Under this scheme, finance will be provided by the government to build residential houses on their lands.