The front door design is not just limited to its utilitarian or functional aspects today; rather, it has evolved into an art of the highest order. And why not? Seeing as the entrance is the most important gateway to the home itself, the necessity of a suitable main door design cannot be ignored.
Think of it this way; your home is undoubtedly a reflection of your personality, tastes, sophistication, and your own dynamic with your loved ones and family members. As a result, the door design will give visitors an idea of what’s in store inside, i.e. how charming and beautiful the interiors of the house will be or what you actually wish to showcase as a stylish gateway to your own abode, your hearth, and your personal space.
Why emphasize choosing the right house door design?
Choosing a proper house door design is important for the following reasons:
- Your front door is the gateway to your world.
- It creates the first and most vital impression for guests/visitors.
- The front door is what safeguards the house primarily and hence should be emphasized upon.
- Your own sense of style and elegance comes to the fore with a proper home entrance door design.
- Whenever any person walks into your abode, he/she will first notice the entrance door.
- Previously people only considered doors from the security aspect. While this is important, aesthetics matter nowadays too.
- Doors have varied designs and shapes and have evolved today towards becoming works of art in their own right.
- The right door is needed for any household, chosen based on parameters like quality, material, and overall durability alike.
- Doors need careful attention on part of homeowners. They are hugely visible and highly utilized parts of the house.
- Doors should be able to withstand usage daily while ensuring the minimal transfer of sound between rooms.
- Suitable house front door designs will add more character, elegance, or style to the overall interiors.
These are some of the reasons why you require the best design for your front door in a nutshell. Now the question is, how do you get there, i.e. choose the perfect front door for your needs?
A few basic tips may work for an attractive front door design
When it comes to Indian main door designs, they are often utilitarian, traditional, or decked out with religious or common spiritual motifs most of the time. What you need to do is look for innovative ideas to spruce up your home door design in turn. You should always keep these tips firmly in mind:
- All exterior doors should be matching the overall exterior appearance of the house. There should be complete sync with the home design externally.
- The interiors of the home should not contrast too starkly with the front door.
- The door should enhance the overall appeal for visitors while creating a mostly harmonious look.
- The door should complement the architectural aspects of the home in terms of materials.
- It should offer a proper presentation for your home along with creating a positive mood and enhancing the architectural appeal of the property.
- Enhancement of what we know as curb appeal is a major aspect in this regard.
- The door should not be confusing, wrongly-positioned, or look too jumbled up from any angle.
- It should not be loud, over the top, or misleading as per experts.
- The positioning of the door should be done by Indian Vaastu rules or Feng Shui guidelines.
At an extremely basic level, here are some tips that you should keep in mind.
What you should not miss while looking for front door design ideas
The front door design is characterized immensely by your choices. It is what you choose that defines you above all else. Strong contrasts will always be more confusing when you take the exterior design of the house and the exterior front door into account. The front door and exterior house design, if radically contrasting, will only harm the look and overall vibe of the property in question. You should always set store on a few basic things while choosing your front door. These include the following:
- Energy Efficiency
These are key principles that you should employ to make sure that you get an environment-friendly, appealing, Vaastu-friendly, durable, and safe door that stays unscathed for years to come! You should keep in mind that fiberglass or solid wood doors are often considered great options for safeguarding expensive home belongings or interiors. Durable and safe doors will add to the comfort and safety aspect of any contemporary home while looking greatly inviting at the same time!
Some easy ways to enhance house front door designs
Main door design can be readily enhanced in the following ways:
- Paint the front door in matte colors such as black for adding a modern touch to the look of your home.
- Glass panels positioned on the upper half may infuse natural light into the home while changing the look of the door with ease.
- Replace the basic and functional house number with stylish and attractive lettering.
- You can make use of metal numbers for this purpose.
- Have creepers surrounding the entry-way or use lush green succulents for a unique display on the front door.
- Create a walkway as a front entry to your home if possible. Have some pebbles/stones or other landscaping was done in a minimal and non-obtrusive way. Keep this walkway clean and wash off all dirt or accumulated debris.
- Have a new inviting rug in place for a stylish look.
- You can also replace house numbers with letters instead.
- Choose a funky, quirky, or classic nameplate as a quick fix.
Choosing from various types of doors
While pondering over suitable front door designs, here are some types of doors that you should filter from.
- Lift & slide doors- As per experts, slide and lift doors are tailored for bigger openings and views which are unobstructed at large. Those who like clear views and larger door sizes may prefer this type. These doors are hugely popular throughout the world since they ensure smooth functioning as compared to regular sliding doors. Being large in size, they ensure panoramic views while also adding to the spaciousness of any room in turn. These doors also come with ample weather resistance and sound-proof attributes too. Lift and slide doors are preferred home door designs that can be extensions of living rooms as well.
- Casement doors- Casement doors are suitable for infusing beauty and charm into any space. These doors enable a serene and warmer ambiance. Casement doors also come with several features including robust and durable hinges, a multi-point locking system, and toughened yet laminated safety glasses in turn. Casement doors come with dual and single sash options are chosen for the main door. Their appearance is really inviting and people enjoy a warm entry.
- Sliding doors- Indian main door designs can be quite unconventional; With these kinds of doors, you only have to push gently in a horizontal manner and you will get the view of the outdoors with ease. Sliding doors are suitable for contemporary structures or buildings since they do not occupy a lot of space. They also enable maximum entry of natural light into any space. The most vital aspect of sliding doors is that they ensure more effective barriers for weather and sound. Sliding doors also ensure modern styling and smooth performance along with better integration. Produced through the implementation of the highest engineering standards and creative inspiration, these doors are reliable, beautiful, and highly secure for offices and homes alike.
- Slide & Fold doors- House front door designs such as slide and fold will have more flexibility. The entrance will look more welcoming as a result. With greater comfort and flexibility, the overall usability of these kinds of doors will go up exponentially. This will add a whole new dimension towards offices and homes. Custom wood and aluminum are used these days while glass avatars of these doors are also trending in several spaces. This novel combination will create a dramatic look while also making the surroundings look larger and more spacious by all means.
Some handy guidelines before choosing the door
Front door designs come in various types. Here are some aspects worth noting before you choose your door.
- The door style should complement the décor theme- The door style, i.e. single, double, plain, or detailed work, is something to be chosen based on the overall house décor theme. If the house has been designed traditionally, choose doors that have carved and wooden designs and themes. The door should complement the traditional décor theme and should sport an elegant design above all else.
- Choose the door swing with care- Do not make the mistake of neglecting the door swing or opening the door towards the outside of the room in question. This can be a vital thing to note when a door is being installed since it will affect the whole look of the home in question. You should choose between left-hand or right-hand doors and on this basis, there will be the installation of the hinges and handles likewise.
- Do not go for a door that opens into a corridor or hall since this may be otherwise harmful.
- Make sure that the door is framed, i.e. a well-framed entryway will make sure that the size is right and will also prevent future damage in the long term.
Why sound-proofing matters
- Sound-proof your door properly. Install sound-proof doors as much as possible.
- This will help keep away unwanted external noise to a large extent.
- Doors come with STC (sound transmission class) ratings or figures for measuring the loss of sound from them.
- The higher this STC number, the more sound-proof your door will be.
- 25 is the lowest STC figure since you can hear the normal speech of people from the doors. 40 is a medium figure and 60 ensures total soundproofing above all else.
Added tips that you may appreciate
There are several other tips for house front door designs that you should make a note of.
- If a designed door has been selected, make sure that the door enhances the overall look of the home in question.
- The design should be in sync with the style and theme of the home.
- The door design should appear creative by way of decoration and color alike.
- You can opt for a rustic style or unfinished-wood type of feel or create a medieval effect with a studded door.
- Oil paints and similar embellishments will work wonderfully in this regard.
- The designed door should have a matching color with the whole home while creating its own style statement by complementing other aspects of the home décor theme too.
- Ensure that the door fits well amidst the hinges. Choose a double or single door with light panels on both sides.
- Add flowers and green plants to the door for creating a positive mood.
Innovative front door design ideas based on materials
- Glass and wood- You can use glass and wood for crafting the front door and making a positive impression upon guests.
- Completely wooden doors- Wood core with veneer coating may also work.
- Patterned wood- Patterned details on wood, either with motifs or geometric patterns infusion with elegant door knobs/handles.
- Pre-finished wood- Pre-finished wooden doors create a stylish impression with a durable high-gloss look.
Also, Read Front door design tips for greater appeal
1. Which door is best for front entry?
You can choose Vaastu compliant doors with sturdy materials like wood and fiber. Choose doors that are secure yet aesthetically appealing.
2. What is a good color for a front door?
Ideally, a front door should sport a darker color theme including shades of brown or black among others.
3. Why are front doors so expensive?
Front doors are the main gateways to the home and should offer security, durability, and unhindered usage along with aesthetics. Hence, they may be costlier than other internal doors.
4. When should I replace my front door?
You should keep an eye out for wear and tear or other signs of damage. If there is extensive damage or normal aging of the material, make sure you have it replaced swiftly.
5. How do I style my front door?
You can opt for an innovative nameplate, add flowers/plants at the entrance, infuse some creative artwork like a Swastika or Om, and so on.